Old July 29th 15, 06:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Scotland - England: West side or east side? And who's advsingthe Scots?

On 29/07/2015 14:34, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
wrote:
Slightly off topic but if anyone is interested in metre gauge I can
thoroughly recommend the railways of Corsica

Speaking of which, can anyone advise on the railways (if any) of
Sardinia? Particularly at the southern end. Anything particularly worth
a ride if I can persuade SWMBO?

Yes!

The narrow gauge lines are well worth doing, not least in a "do them
while they are still there" sense. I did Cagliari - Isili in a little
railbus, and two of the routes from Sassari. The scenery can be quite
wild, vaguely Yorkshire Dales-esque.

The mainline network was standard Italian stock (though IIRC they've
since got some Spanish units), though in a perhaps slightly "unItalian"
landscape. The line up through the middle is scenic, and Sassari a nice
place.

There is a railway museum in the suburbs of Cagliari, accessible by tram
on the converted railway.

Top tip: don't go on a whim on a stormy weekend in March and book a room
overlooking the sea which has shutters but no proper glazed windows
between you and Barcelona.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK