Old July 31st 15, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr J R Stockton[_41_] Dr J R Stockton[_41_] is offline

Default Vehicle and driveway width

In uk.transport.london message , Thu, 30 Jul
2015 13:52:48, Robin posted:

Piatkow wrote:
The answer to the first half is readily available on the web. 2.55
metres excluding mirrors or 2.6 metres for a refrigerated vehicle.

Quite.

That question was to winnow out "answers" from the more profoundly
ignorant.

The second half will need an experienced lorry driver or instructor
to answer. With a car there is always a risk the wheel being turned
slightly when the driver turns to look over his shoulder.

Well a retired HGV driver tells me it all depends. Eg is it a summer's
day or dark and ****ing down?

During the South of England working day, with some artificial light
after sunset.

With or without a *trusted* guide?

With whoever the driver brings.

Rigid
or artic and 40' trailer?

An ordinary lorry, nothing worse than a removals pantechnicon or a skip
lorry. I much doubt whether an artic could reach the location without
wreaking havoc.

And what's the cost of failure? Eg is it
between trees or fences or the wall(s) of Grade I listed mansions?

Well, part of one side holds up my spare bedroom's wall and floor. But
that is the second part of the narrow section. It is definitely nothing
like a Grade 1 mansion.

At present, exactly the width of a skip lorry away from that wall, the
other side of the drive is an untidy middle-aged hedge, embedded deep
within which is a wire mesh fence which must be on the property
boundary. The driver of the skip lorry declined to bulldoze through in
reverse.

And
don't forget you need an area to get straight before entering your
choke.

I did not.

If you are looking to get someone to deliver/collect, ask the firm in
question. And possibly check their insurance.

The situation is that the property management has, over the years,
allowed all of the hedges to grow wider rather than ensuring that they
are trimmed to an appropriate width. Other arrangements are being made
for the original clearance task. But, now that the management has
accepted that Something Must Be Done, I want to specify the necessary
width that the management must include in its instructions to the chosen
hedge-cutting workforce.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms