Old August 6th 15, 02:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Chiltern to Paddington

On 2015\08\06 03:39, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I can't help thinking that giving the Greenford Branch over to Chiltern,
extending all of the Greenford Trains to South or West Ruislip and half
of them to Aylesbury via Princes Risborough to replace the current hourly
service on that line, would achieve similar results in a better way. It
would need a new platform to be built at Greenford though, and I'm not
sure if the Greenford Branch still has chronic speed restrictions.

The Greenford branch is certainly very slow, but that may just be because
of the closely-spaced stops and relaxed timings. Of course, the service
will soon start at West Ealing rather than Paddington, as Crossrail will be
taking its Relief line paths into Paddington.

It would be a pity to lose the convenient cross-platform interchange at
Greenford, from which there are already frequent Central Line connections
through to West Ruislip. So it's hard to see who would benefit from
Chiltern running to West Ealing rather than Paddington.

But as the GWR moves away from DMU services in the area, it could still
make sense for Chiltern to take over the 2 tph West Ealing to Greenford
shuttle, perhaps also running additional 1 tph West Ealing to Aylesbury
services.

Ah! I'd forgotten that the Greenford shuttles were earmarked to be cut
off at West Ealing. That stymies the proposal.