Old May 1st 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Robinson Bob Robinson is offline

Default DLR or Jubilee line extension to Stratford International - two questions

John Haines wrote in message ...
When my involvement with the Stratford Concourse started there was no
mention of any provision for further extension. We were asked to
consider pedestrian links to the CTRL station but there was no mention
whatever of any extension of the JLE.

The opportunities for going under the high level tracks are very
limited. There are structures in the embankment which are the remains
of old bridges. The new subway had to be put in at lower level because
of the headroom issues.

Belated congratulations - the new Stratford station with its
integrated bus station is a fine piece of railway infrastructure.

I think that we might be posting at cross purposes. I was not
suggesting that the existing Jubilee line terminal platforms be pushed
through the embankment that carries the Great Eastern routes and the
emerging Central line as well as the legacy of industrial archaeology.
There will always be a need for the terminal platforms at Stratford to
provide a central London turn back and interface with the Great
Eastern lines. What I am suggesting is taking over the existing North
London lines through the station and having gone through the existing
tunnel turning to the right rather than the left. Now I am unfamiliar
with the existing and proposed layouts north of the existing station
so I might be being impractical in making the heavy rail option
suggestion. However I do not see what additional value is bought to
the network by extending the DLR from Custom House to Stratford and
hopefully Temple Mills when this route is parallel to the very
expensive Jubilee line extension whose assets every taxpayer should
want to see sweat.

As for the then surplus NLL from Custom House to Statford - well the
former Great Central Line from Chorlton cum Hardy to Gorton has been
turned into a very useful cycle track - fostering yet another non car
mode of transport.