Old August 14th 15, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Bakerloo & northern extensions

On 8/13/2015 6:21 PM, Recliner wrote:
David C wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:39:40 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

I doubt that there's room anywhere for them, in track or reversing terms
east of Aldgate East.

There is a new (for the Olympics) turnback road at West Ham, no longer
in regular use AFAIK.

Could all the Met reversers fit in with the District and H&C trains to West
Ham?

The suggestion wasn't all of them - just some to raise the rather dismal
6 trains/hour through the Liverpool St-Aldgate East curve.

I'm speculating, but you could terminate an extra three District Line
trains per hour at Mansion House and Tower Hill, freeing up 6 paths from
Aldgate East eastwards which could be used for a met service through to
somewhere and doubling the service through from Liverpool Street to
the east end.

Maybe that would be a little ambitious, but as soon as a single train
goes awry on that stretch you can quite easily double your expected
journey times (Aldgate East to Paddington is 10 stops or roughly 20
minutes, and a lost train can mean a 20 minute wait for the next one)