Old September 4th 15, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Woolwich

On 2015\09\04 10:08, wrote:

Certainly circumferential routes in East London across the river are poorly served, but is there really much demand for Kidbrooke to Becontree?

g No, I chose those two because the straight line route passes exactly
over the Woolwich tunnel. But Kidbrooke would have demand to Ilford and
Barking and Bromley, given the transport link.

There is the longstanding on again off again DLR extension along Barking

Reach, which if done sensibly could link Woolwich to the end of the
Beckton branch and east form there.

Every plan I've seen has had that connecting with the Beckton Branch,
not with the Woolwich branch, so you'd have to go via Canning Town.

I wonder just how much demand there is for north-south traffic that far out, though.

Enough for a tram, not enough for an underground line. Ilford, Barking
and Bromley are major shopping areas, and maybe Woolwich too.

I do wonder, though, how the traffic at Woolwich Arsenal will respond once crossrail to Abbey Wood opens. It will definitely provide a much better service between the south side of the river and the Isle of Dogs, so it may take a lot of the current DLR traffic away.

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of that.