Old May 2nd 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Supermarekt checkouts ( How to spot ****s on the underground....)

"Paul Oter" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:20:38 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I really hate those who insist on (slowly) packing every single item away
before then deciding that they will turn to the checkout person to see

how
much their bill is before eventually paying it. Although I usually keep

up
with packing the stuff as it comes off the conveyor belt, I will stop and
pay as soon as the bill is ready. I can then go back to packing any
remaining items and the checkout person then has the option to wait until
I'm out of the way or start on the next person.

We're getting *way* off-topic, but I always wait until I have packed
every single thing in my bags before paying. It's the only sure way of
preventing the cashier starting on the next person before I've gone.

I'm just the opposite: I pay as soon as I'm asked for the very reason that
it allows the cashier to start on the next person's shopping and avoids
holding that person up while I finish packing - it allows parallel
processing! Supermarkets (back in the days of names like "Grandways") used
to have a dividing "wall" that they could swing across to direct one
person's shopping away from the next person's, but they seem to have
abandoned that idea which is a shame.