Old September 17th 15, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default New Heathrow Express Advance fares

On 2015-09-17 10:01:22 +0000, Roland Perry said:

When I was at Heathrow T2 last week I was surprised to see that there
was a CCTV camera for *every* space in the car park. One of the side
effects (although they could do it with less intrusive technology) was
that empty spaces had a green light above them, so you could see from
afar, down each aisle, whether or not there was somewhere to park.

That's "sensor parking". The camera is probably just detecting
presence, rather than being recorded. There's a similar one in Milton
Keynes, the sensors are just metal detectors and feed back (a) which
spaces are free, and (b) direct wardens to overstayers.

Trains could have some system linked to checking if a seat was occupied
(although their are issues if people put bags on seats) and have
coloured lights above indicating (eg) Green for empty, Orange for
empty-but reserved, and nothing for occupied. Or maybe red for occupied
and in the foreseeable future a reservation pending.

Would be an option I suppose.

Neil
--
Neil Williams