Old October 1st 15, 06:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

On 10/1/2015 1:55 AM, wrote:
In article ,

(JNugent) wrote:

On 30/09/2015 17:49, tim..... wrote:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tph...hire-proposals

so what does the team think?

tim

The law is clear.

"Services" such as Über cannot operate lawfully unless:

(a) each vehicle is tested and licensed before commencing operations,

(b) each driver applies for a licence, is investigated and not found
ineligible, before commencing operations, and

(c) the operator (presumably Über) establishes a base within Greater
London and submits to the appropriate licensing regime, thereafter
complying with the requirements for record-keeping, etc.

Do all of those (especially assessing and licensing the drivers to
weed out dodgy characters) and Über is effectively pointless.

Indeed. The absolutely crucial protection for the public is (b). Why people
think it's a good idea to get into cars with possible mass murderers I just
don't understand.

So you wouldn't get into a car with anyone as anyone could be a mass
murderer, the fact they haven't been caught yet is pretty irrelevant
(as, if they were a mass murderer and had been caught surely they would
be behind bars?)

I have no problem with those conditions though (although forcing (c) in
this day and age is a bit odd - as long as they have record keeping to a
given, not egregious, standard), as long as all the inspections and
licensing are reasonable and at cost.

However, I think Uber operate under certainly a and b, and hiring a
room with a printer in it could satisfy c.

I *like* Uber - it's seemingly reliable, cheap, takes me from A to B (a
black cab rarely starts from A - I have to head for a main thoroughfare
to find it), and is in fact a lot less "dodgy" (you know how the fare is
calculated and the two way review system ensures civility and vehicle
cleanliness etc)