Old May 3rd 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default London to Cite Europe - trips via Euroshuttle

On Sun, 2 May 2004 at 10:20:39, wrote:

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

I'm afraid not. But knowing this newsgroup, somebody will!

A few years ago there used to be an excellent, little publicised, turn up
and go service from Charing Cross station and other places. You got the
ticket from the station, travelled to Ashford, and there was a regular
coach service on the hour for most of the day to/from Cite Europe and
Calais. Unfortunately the rail company stopped these "due to lack of
interest"!

I know - and it was dirt cheap! Alas... Actually, I thought it was
withdrawn after the demise of duty-free, when there was a huge drop in
the numbers of people crossing the Channel, not realising that even with
French duty paid, wine, spirits, beer and coffee were far cheaper than
they are here. And tobacco is cheaper in Belgium, just an hour up the
road!

I realise that a car trip is the best way, but I've never bothered to take
my driving test, so that is out of the question. I would prefer the
shuttle to the ferry, because it is quicker, but the ferry could be a last
resort. The only other way is getting the Eurostar to Paris to do some
shopping, but that is rather extreme :-)

But serious fun, all the same!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004