Old October 2nd 15, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] is offline

Default Goblin electrification

In message , David C
wrote:
I'm not saying it can't be done but it is a lot more complicated to signal
so tends to be avoided. The LUL 3rd & 4th rail electrified tracks lie
between platform 1 and the overhead electrified tracks, don't they? So the
Barking Riverside route won't go near platform 1 so why keep it in service?

Sorry but you are not making any sense.

As has been mentioned, 25 kV AC electrification has co-existed with
the under-ground since 1962without any problems.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

There are serious problems with having third (or third/fourth) rail on
the same line as 25 kV, to do with earthing and track circuits.
Therefore there's good reasons to avoid that.

But, on the other hand, I don't believe there's any significant reason
not to have 25 kV and third rail on adjacent tracks. Particular with
platforms in between.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org