Old October 3rd 15, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 09:57:52 on Sat, 3 Oct 2015, Recliner
remarked:
Once during a Metro strike in Paris, I shared a cab to the airport with
three strangers from the long taxi queue.

I'm pretty sure that in times of great stress (like tube strikes) there
are measures put in place at some London mainline terminal stations to
'force' people to share taxis to nearby destinations.

And in the USA I've been at several Conference Centres where the taxi
line at the end of the day is managed by the site's security staff and
they 'force' people heading for the same destination (usually a hotel)
to share a cab. A lot of Americans dislike this idea, but are given the
choice of "share a cab or walk".

It's remarkably easy to organise - the person at the head of the queue
tells the cab marshal where they are going, and he calls that out eg:
"Downtown Hilton". And until they have enough additional 'volunteers'
from the queue to fill the cab, it goes nowhere.