Old October 4th 15, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Denis McMahon[_4_] Denis McMahon[_4_] is offline

Default Goblin electrification

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 06:26:29 -0500, rosenstiel wrote:

I'm not saying it can't be done but it is a lot more complicated to
signal so tends to be avoided. The LUL 3rd & 4th rail electrified tracks
lie between platform 1 and the overhead electrified tracks, don't they?
So the Barking Riverside route won't go near platform 1 so why keep it
in service?

As far as I can tell, P1 at Barking connects to the 'down'[1] GOBLIN just
East of the River Roding crossing, with a crossover between the River
Roding crossing and the North Circular giving access to the 'up'[1]
GOBLIN, the OLE lines then cross the LUL lines on a grade seperated
crossing (ie flyover).

The OLE doesn't run along the section from the GOBLIN connection to the
station.

Complicated by the fact that the H&C turns back in 3, and that the
through District LUL lines are in 2 (westbound) and 6 (eastbound). The
eastbound District line tunnels under the AC lines on the East side of
the station.

There also seems to be a crossover from westbound District to the GOBLIN,
but that doesn't appear to have OLE or DC power.

It does appear that running OLE along the extra 900 or so metres between
Barking P1 and the River Roding would provide a useful facility at
Barking, and it shouldn't impact on the LUL DC lines at all, apart from
(possibly) the need to fit an insulated joint between the LUL DC line P2
and the OLE P1 points just northwest of the platforms (or even lift the
connection, but I imagine it has a use for delivering stock to the
Barking LUL depot).

[1] Assuming Baking to be the country end and Gospel Oak the town end.

--
Denis McMahon,