Old October 6th 15, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

In article ,

On 2015-10-04 19:45:01 +0000,
said:

Bear in mind that "accessible" isn't a simple binary. My late mother
couldn't use black cabs late in her life because she couldn't make the
step up to climb in.

As a tall person I find it very awkward to get in a Hackney carriage
as well - I'd forgotten that - another reason I'm not a fan of them.

The Berlingo type cabs in Bracknell are *very* accessible in this
sense (but not the Fiat Doblos which have a high step-over to get in
the back seat). Other than the lack of a tight turning circle
(though they aren't *bad*) they seem far better for the purpose than
an actual Hackney carriage. Much cheaper, too, which can keep fares down.

The latter is not an issue in most of England outside London. In Cambridge
the accessible cabs are a mixture of London-type vehicles and various van
types.

--
Colin Rosenstiel