Old October 6th 15, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:47:31 on Sun, 4 Oct
2015, Neil Williams remarked:

That's no help if all I know is the name of a place, and can't locate
it on a map. If in a strange City it can be very difficult to
correlate random destinations with "points on a map".

You've used Google Maps' search facility before, I'm assuming?

Yes, and the results in strange overseas cities can often be very
patchy.

The trouble with strange cities is you have no 'hang on a minute, that
doesn't make sense' function.

For example, 'satnav blunders' like Stamford Bridge (Chelsea) v Stamford
Bridge (battle of), Stratford v Stratford-upon-Avon, Newcastle under Lyme v
upon Tyne, Kingston (upon Hull), Leeds Castle, etc etc.

We all have a good laugh about those, but imagine doing the same in, say,
China? With added local fun that if you get the tone wrong you could end up
asking for a different place entirely.

Not that a local taxi driver would necessarily help here (if they don't
speak English) but they might be able to ask 'are you sure you don't mean
major tourist site not shacks behind the chemical factory?'

Theo