Old October 7th 15, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Taxis

Paul Corfield wrote:

snip

On a point of detail, I think the cabbies have a point in that the costs
of vehicles able to carry wheelchairs (NB in use - not folded in the
boot) are substantially greater than those of most competitor vehicles
on Uber.

Of course there are good economic arguments againt the
cross-subsidisation inherent in requiring cabs to carry wheelchairs.
There's a good argument for giving wheelchair users more money (ideally
raised from tax on other users of cabs/taxis?) and leaving them to find
transport in the free market from drivers who want to carry wheelchairs
and who set the cost. (And the same arguments apply to wheelchairs and
buses.) But I'll be long dead before any politician stands up and
campaigns for that.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid