Old July 20th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Rees Matthew Rees is offline

Default Borough boundaries

Colin wrote:
"Matthew Rees" wrote in message

Nick wrote:
mega snip

I am not anti-GLA, I just don't want the London branding and to be
artificially separated from the Dartford area.

Nick

We have the same issue in Kingston upon Thames which we definately see
as part of Surrey even though we are a London Borough. We get round that
banding issue by being the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames - no
London there!

Matthew

LOL - I think you'll find that the moniker 'Royal Borough' has NOTHING to do
with whether or not the people of your borough want to be part of Greater
London. It is a special status conferred by the monarch. There are three
royal boroughs AFAIK:

Kingston-upon-Thames
Kensington & Chelsea
Windsor & Maidenhead

By your argument the 'Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea' also doesn't
see itself as part of London, which is obviously not the case!

Colin

It is rather easy to refute an argument that I did not make! The point
about being a Royal Borough is that we do not have to call ourselves a
London Borough and so we do not have the branding issue that, e.g.,
London Borough of Bexley has.

Nowhere did I say, or imply, that this is why we became a Royal Borough
or that all Royal Boroughs consider themselves to be outside of London.

Matthew