Old October 14th 15, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jarle Hammen Knudsen Jarle Hammen Knudsen is offline

Default Disaster at Balham Tube station

From the particularly good blog World War II Today,
the entry for 14 October 1940:

They had gone to the Tubes for safety, instead they found worse than
bombs, they found the unknown, terror. Women and children, small babes
in arms, locked beneath the ground. I can only visualize their
feelings, I can only write how it has been told to me, but it must
have been Hell. On top of this there came a cloud of gas. People not
killed outright were suffocated, the rest drowned, drowned like rats
in a cage.

http://ww2today.com/14th-october-194...m-tube-station

--
jhk