Old October 16th 15, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Uber app is not a taximeter

On 16/10/2015 20:02, tim..... wrote:

And I have to say that I have gone off Uber now that I understand this
part of their model.

I thought their MO was that they charged you a known-up-front-fare, just
like minicabs.

This determination of the fare based upon the real time analysis of the
actual journey, leads to all sorts of opportunities for dispute.

Why? You know when you got in, and when you got out and they helpfully
e-mail you a map of the journey taken. If there are glaring problems
with it, you can e-mail them (Uber in general, not the driver) and they
will assess the situation and if necessary refund you some or all of your
fare. The times allow you to work out the time portion of the fare, and
the map can give you a good guess at the distance.

The biggest problem I've found is that drivers can far to easily press
the button saying the journey is completed and then there's a palavar to
get it re-started as everything is controlled through the back end.