Old October 16th 15, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Uber app is not a taximeter

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:41:37
on Fri, 16 Oct 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

Haven't you been introduced to Mr R Perry, Honourable Member for all
things Nottingham, Ely and Cambridgeshire? :-))))

I can do urban transport in some detail in Geneva and Amsterdam too
(as well as London of course).

Never taken a private hire in Ely, so I have no idea if they have
meters or not. The cars in the rank at the station are [East Cambs]
Hackneys.

I should bloody well hope that any car on a rank is a licensed hackney
carriage as only they may ply for hire legally.

The answer to your earlier question is that some other major cities,
Birmingham to my personal knowledge and as also mentioned in a news report
today, Manchester and Sheffield, share with London the inexplicable (to me)
Luddite rule that bans meters in hire cars. What possible justification can
there be for this?

--
Colin Rosenstiel