Old October 20th 15, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Uber app is not a taximeter

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 04:42:22 on Tue, 20 Oct 2015, Recliner
remarked:
I use my trusty local minicab firm (ie, not Uber) to get to Heathrow from
time to time (properly booked in advance). The fare always varies by a few
pounds, and once, when it was a bit higher than the usual range, I
commented on it. The driver pointed at his mobile phone, which had
calculated it based on the longer than usual time the journey had taken.
So the minicab firm had obviously supplied an app that calculated the fare
based on time and distance (the destination is always pre-programmed into
the app).

I don't think I've ever taken a local minicab to/from an airport other
than on a fixed fare (quoted in advance) basis.

I don't see what's wrong with that.

As long as you are told in advance what the charging process is.