Old October 23rd 15, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Destination blind

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2015\10\23 17:17,
wrote:
In article ,

(Basil Jet) wrote:

I travelled on the Gospel Oak - Barking line earlier in the week, and
was annoyed by the fact that half of one of the windows was taken up
by a panel of some sort. Later I realised that this was an electronic
destination display, facing outward. Why is it on the window, when
they have a whole train to put it on? And why is it so big? The text
display is only a few inches tall, but the panel holding it literally
occupies half of the window. I later saw the same thing on the
Caterham line and on the East London Line, so sacrificing half a
window for a few inches of display seems to be the norm now. Do train
designers even know what windows are for?

I'm surprised you've not noticed the same on all the Electrostars and
Turbostars as well as the Desiros, but not on the S stock.

I did notice that the S stock have a tidy sign above the door, which
is where I'd put it.

It's in the body side above a window. I don't understand why the others are
so intrusive and need to take up window space though they are larger
displays I think.

--
Colin Rosenstiel