Old October 24th 15, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Destination blind

Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;151330']Martin Edwards wrote:-
On 10/23/2015 9:46 PM, Recliner wrote:-
Charles Ellson
wrote:-

-
Like much else that is wrong today, it has its roots in the Thatcher
era. It was assumed that everyone would eventually have cars and the
railways would die out. Today's problems are caused not by malice, but

the unprecedented demand on rail travel, especially to, from and round

London.-

I'm not sure how you can blame decisions on seat comfort that were
taken
under Labour governments on Thatcher? I wouldn't blame any particular
government for things like that, but if you must blame a government,
surely
the decisions were taken in the Brown era?

Of course what we can thank the Thatcher government for are the JLE and
DLR.

I think Ken Livingstone will want some of the credit for the DLR.

I'm sure lots of people will want to claim the credit, but we were taking
about the national government of the day. In any case, I don't recall that
Ken had very much, if anything, to do with the Docklands developments in
the late 1980s.