Old November 5th 15, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default DLR strike

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:15:07 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:37:45 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
Anyone know why TfL doesn't just run the DLR directly anyway or via wholy

owned
subsidiary like LU? Is it government policy or something they decided to do?

Well it's worth remembering that three extensions were provided by
private consortia so TfL were not able to run those directly. They
bought two of them out (City Airport / Woolwich Arsenal) but it was
not worthwhile doing so for CGL who built the Lewisham extension. That
deal runs to 2021 and at that point the railway reverts back to TfL.
The current concession with KeolisAmey runs until the same time so

So are CGL part of the consortium currently running it? If not I don't
see the connection.

Well yes but DLR had its own community forums, localised marketing and
information guides, its own website, project info etc. All that's
been washed away by TfL.

If the DLR was still trundling around with single car trains between
Tower HIll and Island Gardens then I suppose your could lament its passing.
But its effectively another group of tube lines now in all but name so you'll
never recapture that community feel.

--
Spud