Old November 24th 15, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015\11\24 12:50, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 23:16:27 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\11\22 21:53, Paul Corfield wrote:

As a follow up to my other post I have subsequently found this on the
web.

"2.4.4 Following the introduction of Crossrail services, the number of
platforms at London Liverpool Street station will reduce from 18 to
17. This is to enable platforms 16 and 17 to be lengthened to
accommodate Crossrail trains; platform 18 will be taken out of
commission."

Maybe I'm being really thick, but I see no reason why the trains running
through Liverpool Street deep have to fit in Liverpool Street surface.
Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to do it.

The service level to be provided on the Shenfield line is such that
not all peak trains can run via the tunnel. Therefore some have to
run into the surface platforms. It's as simple as that. To allow the
9 car Class 345s to run into the local platforms on the east side of
LST requires the platform modifications.

I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I see no reason why the trains
terminating at Liverpool Street have to be as long as the trains going
through to Paddington. Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to
do it. How long are these trains and platforms now? Why would the
introduction of Crossrail bring about an increase in the number of
people using Liverpool Street, because I would expect a decrease.