Old November 25th 15, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

Robin9 wrote:
I can well believe that water industry professionals dislike the
widespread abandonment of hot water tanks, but in a country
where new homes (and rooms within homes) become ever smaller,
hot water tanks take up too much space.

The problem is probably not water but electricity.

We are all supposed to stop using gas over the next 30 years or so. So
an awful lot of gas combi boilers have to be replaced by electric
systems. But the sun is often not shining when people want lots of hot
water (eg winter mornings and evenings) so if the wind isn't blowing it
can't be done with renewables. Well-insulated hot water tanks might
allow the water to be heated in advance. But of course the green lobby
and the Ministers who jumped on their bandwagon never factored in the
massive cost of fitting large tanks in millions of homes. (Nor the
"night storage heaters" to fill the gap left by loss of gas central
heating.)

I predict an impact on TfL: Freedom Passes will also have to go else TfL
services will be overwhelmed by wrinklies riding Zone 1 all day in order
to keep warm But I'll be long dead and burnt by then

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid