Old November 26th 15, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TFL and minicabs.

In message , at 13:20:29
on Thu, 26 Nov 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

? Map-reading skills

? The ability to navigate to and from important
locations in London, for example mainline stations

I don't see the point of this. If it's OK for them to use a satnav to
get everywhere else, why is it not OK for them to use a satnav to get to
those few important locations?

A black cab driver failed to navigate to a public library half a mile
from London Bridge earlier this week. I was a bit surprised. He did know
how to get to the landmark I mentioned as being close by - Borough tube
station, but didn't appear to have any tools to do the "last hundred
yards".

Given the paucity of numbering visible from the street in much of
London, I don't think it would have helped had I been able to recall it
was no 211. But I did know which side of the street it was supposed to
be on, which helped a lot.