Old November 26th 15, 05:04 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cantrell View Post
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 02:13:39PM +0100, Robin9 wrote:

"The Topographical Skills Assessment (TSA)
test for private hire drivers will be changed
by TfL, as an additional measure to the
proposals now under consideration.
A three-part test will be introduced covering:

? Map-reading skills

? The ability to navigate to and from important
locations in London, for example mainline stations

I don't see the point of this. If it's OK for them to use a satnav to
get everywhere else, why is it not OK for them to use a satnav to get to
those few important locations?

? A clear understanding of private hire licensing
regulations

I must admit I don't know how a greater understanding of private
hire regulations will raise the low standards of the worst minicab
drivers whose problems seem to me to be hygene, honesty,
competence and good manners, but I am open to persuasion.

I suppose the assumption is that the rude and dishonest (who are IME
pretty damned rare) are the most likely to fail such a test, and it's
easier to deny a licence based on objectively failing a test than on
something subjective like rudeness. It's the same reason that there is a
specific ban on driving while using a mobile phone, even though that
already fell under driving without due care and attention.

The second change announced by TfL concerns complaints about
drivers and minicab firms:

"TfL plans to adopt a more prominent role in
overseeing and managing private hire complaints...

This could really set the cat among the pidgeons and bring
about a major improvement in standards of service.

I doubt it will have much effect, given that most drivers and cab
companies are already pretty decent. Where it will have the most effect
is on the companies based in central London, who rely on passing trade
from people finishing a night out, as opposed to the majority of
operators who rely on repeat business from people who live nearby.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"
Let me relate a story told to me by a minicab controller:

The firm had a driver who was known to be rude and
aggressive. One woman rebuked him for driving badly
and the driver responded with a foul-mouthed diatribe.
The woman had one of those phones which can record
sound. She recorded the driver's string of four-letter words
and went to the company's office where she played her
recording. They did not sack the driver.

My guess is that TfL have heard dozens of stories like this,
and this is why they have decided to involve themselves in
complaints about drivers.