Old November 26th 15, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson[_2_] Charles Ellson[_2_] is offline

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:36:37 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:55:21 on
Thu, 26 Nov 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:

At a tangent, but a related one. Back in the 1970s, when we bought
our first house in Basingstoke, GB. I was able to purchase a UK
standard double faceplate that had a thirteen amp outlet on one side,
and a fuse holder and two three amp round pin outlets on the other.

Possibly too non-standard for modern use when much the same can be
achieved with currently available boxes designed to take two single
faceplates, e.g.:-
http://app.nventree.co.uk/media/img/.../Custom800.jpg

(to be distinguished from boxes for double faceplates :-
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...0986307-40.jpg )

*Three amp* round pin sockets? I don't recall those.

Often used in more recent times on lighting circuits, so you can plug
floor-standing lights in and have them controlled from the light
switches.

Use for domestic lighting seems to have been something of a revival
possibly enabled by continued use in e.g. theatres and non-domestic
lighting, maybe also aided by continued availability from India.

Roland, Nigel has it right. They are in fact rated at 2 amps. My
mistake. It has been a while since I saw one. Would love to locate a
couple of those faceplates though.

Indeed. I kind of tuned out the difference between two and three amps.

Then there were 5amp versions for power distribution where 15amps wasn't
needed.