Old November 27th 15, 01:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
James Heaton[_4_] James Heaton[_4_] is offline

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

"e27002 aurora" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:27:23 +0000, Neil Williams

On 2015-11-27 09:33:32 +0000, e27002 aurora said:

My limited experience with combi boilers is that they are far from
reliable.

I have experience with precisely one, and it has been as reliable as
one might expect a system boiler to be.

How many have you experienced, and how old? The technology doesn't
differ that much from a system boiler. It's just that if it fails
there is no hot water backup.

One, well I did say limited, :-). And, its age was, to me unknown.
Before I bought this condo, I rented an apartment here in town for two
years. It had a combi boiler, it heated the water for the radiators
and instantaneously heated the water for the shower and faucets. Twice
during my stay I called out the repairman because the hot water supply
failed.

Moreover, when the pilot light went out, relighting and restarting the
system was an art form, a torturous one.

Added two that, two homes that I have owned, one in the US and one in
the UK had instantaneous water heaters. Both worked well for the
first year. After that, we experienced problems.

A tank with heaters works best. My UK home has a modern tank with two
immersion heaters. My US home has a tank with a gas heater.

I didn't know you could get combo with pilot light!

Both ours - even the one fitted approx 1990 long before we bought the house,
were spark.

James