Old November 28th 15, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bryan Morris Bryan Morris is offline

Default Crossrail 2 crayonista attack

In message , Basil Jet
writes
On 2015\11\28 16:11, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Robin9
writes

In St James Lane in Muswell Hill, the old viaduct to Alexander
Palace in still in place, reminding us of Muswell Hill's previous
railway connection.

In the 80s, as a Haringey Councillor, I supported a light railway of , a
then unique, design running partly on rails partly suspended, funded by
the EU and which would have run from Highgate (upper level) station
along, above the abandoned line through Muswell Hill, Crouch End,
Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park.

I presume you mean from Alexandra Palace through Muswell Hill, Highgate
(upper level) station, Crouch End, to Finsbury Park, i.e. following the
abandoned railway. Suspended how? Like the Schwebebahn?

Yep following the abandoned line. It's 30 years ago now but from memory
(and we were given a presentation by the manufacturers) at places it
would be suspended over the Parklands Walk and at other times would be
at ground level.

It would have been driverless, run 24/7, and at times consist of a
single car, supplemented by extra cars when needed.

At the time I was a member of the Alexander Palace and Park Committee
and we were planning the rebuilding of Alexander Palace after the fire
that had largely destroyed it. I felt the plans for the Palace (Hotel,
Exhibition Centre etc.) too ambitious because of the lack of transport
facilities and then this came up which I felt was needed both for
connections to Alexandra Palace and to bring places like Muswell Hill ,
Crouch End etc. to connect to the Northern Line at Highgate High Level.

I wanted at least a feasibility study to be undertaken but could not get
the required votes.
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9