Old November 30th 15, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Guy Gorton[_3_] Guy Gorton[_3_] is offline

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:27:57 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

Sam Wilson;151977 Wrote:
In article ,
Guy Gorton
wrote:
-
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:03:11 +0000, e27002 aurora

wrote:
-
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:24:25 +0000, Roland Perry

wrote:
-
In message
, at
08:44:47 on Sun, 22 Nov 2015, Railsigns.uk

remarked:
There can't be many people who feel inclined to comment on the
excellence or otherwise of a hotel room's plumbing

Or its supply of hot water. I've only stayed at two hotels (out of
several hundreds) which ran out of hot water.

The first was in Maidenhead in around 1980 and had suffered a one-off
major outage of some kind. The other was Sharm-el-Sheikh in 2009 where

no-one appeared to be that surprised that the system had broken down
yet
again.-

Given how well travelled you are, Roland, one is surprised you have
not noticed the quality of the mains pressure water systems found in
those United States. One of the things that attracted me to my unit
here on the south coast was the absence of the usual low pressure UK
plumbing. My shower here works as well as my shower in Tucson. That
is hardly the norm for the UK.-

It is attractive until the day the mains water system ceases to flow
into the premises for whatever reason - planned/unplanned.
My late sister-in-law's house was mains-only and it was not a happy
solution - add being coupled to a combi boiler and the water system
was useless.-

A family member who works in the renewables sector laments the vogue for

combi boilers. A hot water tank provides a useful way of decoupling
supply and demand when energy sources are intermittent.

Sam

I can well believe that water industry professionals dislike the
widespread abandonment of hot water tanks, but in a country
where new homes (and rooms within homes) become ever smaller,
hot water tanks take up too much space.

So if your new home cannot have a hot tank, how do you store free hot
water from your solar panels?
Yes, we have solar panels which are wonderful although
weather-dependent. Despite that limitation, it does not take full sun
to create hot water so most of our spring, summer and autumn hot water
comes from them. Another bonus, albeit an expensive one, is the new
hot tank we needed which is astonishingly well insulated.

Guy Gorton