Old November 30th 15, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No more walking up escalators at Holborn

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Eric wrote:

I wouldn't object, I believe the capacity argument

I believe it too, but I also recognise that capacity and throughput are
different things, and it's throughput that matters the most.

Consider a road. The M25, for example. Its capacity is highest when
traffic isn't moving, because the gap between vehicles is minimised.
Throughput is typically highest at a speed somewhere between 40 and
60mph. At higher speeds throughput decreases because the distance
between vehicles is too high.

Now, an escalator is a bit like a road which has a non-zero minimum
speed. If you ignore the people in the current "standing lane", then all
that matters is the speed that maximises throughput in a single lane. Is
it higher than the minimum or not? Is it a viable walking speed? Can the
traffic sustain that speed over an extended period? Remember, the
relationship between throughput and speed is non-linear and involves
lots of uncertainty and unknown parameters which make it hard to model.
It may even be discontinuous.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

We found no search results for "crotchet". Did you mean "crotch"?