Old December 4th 15, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Dragon Tony Dragon is offline

Default Bus tickets - single?

On 04/12/2015 14:35, Clive Page wrote:
On 04/12/2015 09:57, Piatkow wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 9:51:15 AM UTC, eastender wrote:
Is it no longer possible to buy a single bus ticket? My son has left
his Oyster card somewhere and is coming into Euston tonight - does he
have to buy a one day card to use the bus?

E.

He can use a contactless bank card to pay for a single fare.

I thought that when contactless bank cards were introduced for small
transactions in shops one of the safeguards was that the first time you
used one you would be required to enter your pin on the associated pin
pad, just so that if someone stole your card and you had not enabled it
in this way it could not be used to empty your account. But buses and
tube gatelines don't have a pin-pad - so does this mean (a) that you no
longer have to enable them, so that all contactless cards are instantly
valuable to a thief who wants to travel around London, or (b) you do
have to use them somewhere else first such as in a shop where a pin-pad
is provided? I've searched the TfL website without being able to find
anything on this topic.

(I'm an Oyster user but have a National Rail discount loaded on mine, so
use of contactless cards would cost more, but it would be nice to know
whether in an emergency I could use it or not).

How would an Oyster Reader on a bus be able to check with your bank?

---