Old December 15th 15, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Christmas shopping?

In message , at 08:00:39
on Tue, 15 Dec 2015, remarked:

The Ely underpass is one of the most bashed bridges in the country,
but doesn't have any sacrificial beams, or even any dangly things,
which are used at some locations. You couldn't really put more
signage before or on it either:
https://goo.gl/maps/YNrHVRr2ufA2

Indeed. Why, I wonder?

Undoubtedly because people don't understand what they are driving. One
of the first bridge bashes after I moved to Ely was a brand new "White
van" belonging to a very local tradesman, whose only excuse was "the
last white van I had fitted underneath".

Same with double-decker buses having the top sliced off elsewhere quite
regularly - the only possible excuse is that the driver had a blank and
thought he was driving a single decker.