Old December 15th 15, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail to Tring

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 07:16:21 -0600,

wrote:

We all know that the insane decision to include the Wimbledon loop
services in Thameslink was prompted by the then Sutton MPs. Will DfT
now have the balls to tell them (only 1 is new) to stop holding half
the rest of the country to ransom?

It wasn't just Sutton MPs though. It was the Wimbledon MP, London
Assembly Members, the Streatham MP and others. The bit I've never
understood is that running through consigns the route to a x30 headway
whereas terminating at Blackfriars would give a x15 frequency *and*
would have allowed more 12 car trains to run through the core. The
politicians aren't all dim so why a more nuanced decision wasn't
pursued I don't know. I doubt any of them would have suffered
particular electoral consequences over an issue that doesn't manifest
until 2018.

I'm sad to say that the number of politicians who understand how to run a
transport system is very small and doesn't include that lot as far as I know
(not certain about the GLA members). I'm a lifelong and committed Lib Dem
but my is no more exempt from that than any other in my experience. I know
that Paul Burstow and Tom Brake made as much noise about it as any but they
were just wrong. I'm surprised they didn't realise the impact on
frequencies, mind. I would have thought a 15 minute service (would that work
at Wimbledon?) would be much better.

I think 10 Crossrail 2 trains will turn at Wimbledon. 30 are planned
through the core and 20 an hour to Raynes Park.

I didn't think it was 30 tph from day one for CR2 but I may be wrong.

I was quoting from the CR2 web site. My son-in-law is working on the current
consultations programme at present so I've seen some leaflets too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel