Old December 31st 15, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Lewis Steve Lewis is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

IIRC, the additional 7th cars inserted into all of the 96 stock were unpowered, having concrete blocks in lieu of traction motors so the weight and suspension settings remained the same. I always assumed that the new complete trains used the same "obsolete" traction motors, for the sake of commonality.

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently that LU was looking to retraction the 95 and/or 96 fleets.