Old December 31st 15, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:10:52 -0800 (PST), Steve Lewis
wrote:

IIRC, the additional 7th cars inserted into all of the 96 stock were unpowered, having concrete blocks in lieu of traction motors so the weight and suspension settings remained the same. I always assumed that the new complete trains used the same "obsolete" traction motors, for the sake of commonality.

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently that LU was looking to retraction the 95 and/or 96 fleets.

Yes, that rings a bell. Presumably the priority would be to update the
older 96 stock to make them more compatible with the 95 stock? But if
a significant number of a newer version is ordered (the 2020 stock?),
I wonder if the older 95 and 96 stocks could also be updated to use
similar, more efficient, technology?