Old December 31st 15, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Smith[_5_] Martin Smith[_5_] is offline

Default New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On 26/12/2015 15:04, wrote:
My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?

Indeed, most large timber yards were on canals, it was the only way that
really large amounts of wood could be easily transported, the timber
yard in Peckham Hill St backs onto what used to be known as Canal Head,
where the canal terminated in Peckham. Not far down the road in
Willowbrook Road there is still a canal bridge, that part of the old
canal track is now a pleasant foot and bicycle path, it also ran east
west through what is now Burgess Park, there are stil the realtively
preserved remaims of what was probably a lime kiln, though it could have
been a brick kiln, someone here will know for sure.
--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.