Old January 1st 16, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
e27002 aurora e27002 aurora is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 04:37:11 -0600,
wrote:

In fact the creation of new names in modern times has been pretty
unimaginative. Look at those created in my lifetime, Victoria, Jubilee
(originally Fleet), Hammersmith & City and Crossrail. I think that Fleet
would have been a better name, especially as there have been 2 more jubilees
since Horace Cutler decided on the name.

Victoria is a fine name for a fine piece of infrastructure. It is of
the few good things to come out of the 1960s.

The name Jubilee, as I am sure you are aware, long predates its
British utilization. Better than name the route after a sewer.

Hammersmith and City is an artificial renaming of part of the
Metropolitan, and is very awkward.

Who knows what the completed Crossrail will be called. Meanwhile
Crossrail is not bad.