Old January 1st 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 05:17:32 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,

(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 04:37:11 -0600,

wrote:

In fact the creation of new names in modern times has been pretty
unimaginative. Look at those created in my lifetime, Victoria, Jubilee
(originally Fleet), Hammersmith & City and Crossrail. I think that
Fleet would have been a better name, especially as there have been 2
more jubilees since Horace Cutler decided on the name.

Victoria is a fine name for a fine piece of infrastructure. It is of
the few good things to come out of the 1960s.

The name Jubilee, as I am sure you are aware, long predates its
British utilization. Better than name the route after a sewer.

Hammersmith and City is an artificial renaming of part of the
Metropolitan, and is very awkward.

Who knows what the completed Crossrail will be called. Meanwhile
Crossrail is not bad.

You didn't read what I wrote very carefully. I said the names were
unimaginative, not necessarily bad. For the record I don't think Victoria
or jubilee are bad names. I think Cross rail is still because many tube
lines could be called crossrail.

Point taken councillor.

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

--
Colin Rosenstiel