Old May 7th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Station To Station

On Thu, 6 May 2004 at 13:55:28, MetroGnome
wrote:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

You can also see Canary Wharf (and, presumably, Poplar) from
West India Quay, and I think you can see it from Heron Quays as well,
although I'd not swear to that.

When the DLR first opened in 1987, from the platforms at West India Quay you
could see Westferry, Canary Wharf [never-opened and being dismantled!],
Heron Quays, South Quay, and Poplar. The view to South Quay is now blocked,
and you can only just see Heron Quays by peering through Canary Wharf. On
the other hand, Canary Wharf and Blackwall have now opened and both are
visible. I'm not sure if you can still see Westferry, or if you can now see
East India.

I wouldn't have thought you could see East India, as, while it's easy to
see Blackwall from E.I. (when waiting for an eastbound, you can see it
before it stops at Blackwall), you can only see E.I. from Blackwall when
you get there.

I remember them rebuilding Canary Wharf - but didn't they also rebuild
West India Quay at one stage, too? I have vague memories of them doing
so when I used to prowl round that area (amazing what you could do with
a small child an an ODTC!) in the late 1980s, early 1990s!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004