Old January 1st 16, 08:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Jeremy Double Jeremy Double is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

Roland Perry wrote:
In message

, at 17:01:31 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Jeremy Double

remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

nb. To be a UK Professor requires one to be in effect head of a
department, the USA-ians apply the term much more widely I think.

Not true, in the UK there are typically established chairs (of which there
can be more than one in larger departments), and personal chairs, which are
awarded on merit to people with very good research records. You can apply
for an established chair position when one becomes vacant, and it's like
any other job application, whereas personal chairs are awarded by the
promotions committee to current staff who prove themselves worthy. In many
universities, having a chair is not necessary to be the head of a
department.

--
Jeremy Double