Old January 1st 16, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message

,
at 17:01:31 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Jeremy Double
remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

Seemed to be when my father retired in 1978. But there was no Emeritus
Reader status then so he was an Emeritus Lecturer.

nb. To be a UK Professor requires one to be in effect head of a
department, the USA-ians apply the term much more widely I think.

Not any more. There are plenty of holders of personal chairs in Cambridge
University to my knowledge. And conversely, not all US Heads of Department
are professors. My brother wasn't a professor before he retired but did a
stint as department chair.

--
Colin Rosenstiel