Old January 2nd 16, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Oyster outage

wrote:
On 02.01.16 9:30, Roland Perry wrote:
"Thousands of rail, bus and Tube passengers enjoyed free
transport on Saturday after London’s Oyster card network
collapsed.

Barriers are rail and tube stations were opened by staff after
Oyster card 'reader' machines used to register the start and end
of each journey failed to work throughout the network."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-
transport/12077955/Londons-Oyster-card-system-crashes-giving-thousands-
free-travel.html

I wonder if this is a random fault, or a "Y2K" type of problem.

I remember when the Nottingham City Transport smartcard had one of the
latter at New Year in around 2006.

What time did this occur? I used the tube yesterday without any
difficulties, though I was using contactless.

It happened this morning when they tried and failed to download the new
fares tables to the gates. It only affected Oyster, not contactless (as the
fares calculations are done in the back office with contactless).

What are the stats, BTW, on contactless replacing Oyster?

Dunno, but they'd be interesting.