Old January 2nd 16, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clank Clank is offline

Default Oyster outage

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:00:46 on Sat, 2 Jan
2016, Clive Page remarked:

Any why, if all you had to do to get a free trip was to claim to have
an Oyster card, would anyone during the outage try to use a
contact-less card?

I think that's called "not understanding the exact nature of the outage
and not wanting to be caught deliberately evading fares, even if for a
short time TfL will decide not to worry about it".

There is also the crazy notion of "honesty" and "believing in paying for a
service because it's the right thing to do", which is not in fact entirely
lost to the world...

(Back in the day when I travelled regularly between unstaffed stations with
PERTIS machines, I actually used to pay my fare in full, or seek out the
guard if I didn't have enough change. Strange but true.)