Old May 7th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default travelling in london for tourists/travelcard

On Fri, 7 May 2004 at 01:51:39, S. Sen wrote:

Hi,

My wife and I will be travelling to London from Philadelphia and plan to
make extensive use of the public transportation system while there. We
will be there for 7 days. We will be staying at Leatherhead, Surrey which
I understand is Zone 6. Thus, we would be coming into the city proper
each day and going back fairly late in the evening.

I think you'll find Leatherhead is actually outside Zone 6, and you will
need a one-week season ticket to-from London Zone 1.

I would be most grateful if anyone would answer these questions for us...

1. What kind of pass should we get? After scouting around, it seems it is
the weekly travelcard allowing travel across all 6 zones? http://www.tfl.
gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2004/travelcards-period.shtml

2. If the above is true, how do I get a 'photocard', as the site mentioned
above says we need for a weekly travelcard? It is too late for me to get
a visitor travelcard mailed to us - we are leaving in 24 hours. Is one
issued on the spot? Can non UK residents get it? Is there a office at
Heathrow issuing such photocards and travelcards?

I'm pretty sure you can get a photocard without difficulty - we did once
for a French child staying with us on an exchange visit. They are free
- you just present yourself at the ticket office at Heathrow with a
passport photo, and they will give you the form to fill in, and issue
you the card then and there.

3. If weekly travelcard is not an option, what is our best bet?

A weekly season ticket, I think, which is similar but will have the
additional train to Leatherhead.

4. Is public transportation fairly safe? Late in the evening?

Yes, but be sensible, just as you would be at home.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004