Old January 3rd 16, 09:35 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
e27002 aurora e27002 aurora is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:12:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 10:16:39 UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:08 on
Sat, 2 Jan 2016,
remarked:

I'm sure my Grandfather mentioned purchasing tickets at Hammersmith
Met station for onward travel by what we would now call National Rail,
he told me this circa 1969

You could buy tube+BR through tickets in those days, I did it
occasionally from central London to Mid-Essex for example.

Can't comment about as long ago as 1969 but certainly in the 70s and 80s this was possible but, IIRC, only to destinations on lines where there was no-barrier interchange, eg the LTS, Watford DC and GN lines. I have examples of these in my collection. It was also possible to buy through tickets to SE and Central inner suburban destinations via New Cross and New Cross Gate.

At one time I did a weekly commute between Barnham and Brentwood. This
was before the days of cross London journey including the underground
portion of the ticked.

Somehow, it worked out well for me if I bought a Barnham to Victoria
return and then bought a Victoria to Brentwood ticket at the
underground ticket window.