Old January 4th 16, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 09:23:02 -0800 (PST)
wrote:
'Fly' boats working through the night could do the trip in about 52 hours, =
but then you'd need extra crew to work the extra hours. Given that there a=
re about 100 locks to work through between London and Birmingham this timin=
g was pretty good.

You can walk from London to Birmingham along the towpath, as I have done ma=
ny years ago when I had better legs, in about the same time as it takes by =
normal boats.

About the only way to get the costs down would be much larger craft, which =
would need much bigger canals.

The French managed it 100 years before our canals were even started. We always
do build too small in this country presumably because the upfront costs are
always considered more important that the long term revenue.

--
Spud