Old January 5th 16, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In article , (Michael R N
Dolbear) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote

And you are obsessed with Cambridge,

Eh? We have no freight traffic to speak of on the Cam.

Was there ever ?

And was the Cam ever tidal, say in Newton's time, at Cambridge ?

Tidal no, but coal to the generating station came in by river until it
closed in 1966. It was still the distribution point for supplies in central
Cambridge until after I arrived and was surprised to find 210v (nominally,
actually 205v) electricity again, it having gone from Putney in the 1950s.
My landlord when I graduated and rented my first bedsitter in 1972 still had
most of his free issue of replacement light bulbs.

--
Colin Rosenstiel